A mojo bag is something between an amulet an a spell – it’s a small fabric/felt/leather bag filled with herbs, roots, stones, bones, sigils, metals, and anything the Witch considers necessary, and “fed” with oils, liquors, waters and other magickal potions. Today I’m posting a recipe for a money mojo bag, our #1 request these times.
Note: all linked items are available at our shop.
Note II: this is not the mojo bag you would get if you purchased it from me – it’s a simplified version for practitioners of all levels. If you want me to make one for you, you can find it HERE.
When To Make It
Always on the growing phase of the moon or during the full moon; on a Monday if you want Eleggua to open the roads for money to come, or on a Friday if you want Ochum to help you keep, save and increase your wealth. It works better if done during the day.
- A green bag;
- Choose three of the following dried herbs:rosemary, wormwood, lemongrass, spearmint, cinquefoil, ginseng (leaves), fir, fig tree (leaves), stevia, thyme – a spoonful of each;
- Three golden coins – it doesn’t matter the type, as long as they’re all the same;
- A piece of parchment paper with your petition, written with green ink;
- A pinch of your hair, nail clippings or body fluids;
- Three Wish Beans;
- Three golden/yellow candles (taper candles are fine) and three candle holders.
- Incense (optional but recommended).
- Make a triangle pointing north with the three candles and place all the materials in a dish in the center of the triangle. Now you can light incense, pray and meditate about your wish.
- Once you are focused, place all items in the bag and make three knots while you recite three times(once for each knot):
“By the power of the Orishas,
I tie Fortune to my fate;
all my needs are satisfied. Aché!”
- Leave the mojo bag back in the plate until the candles have finished burning.
- When the candles are done, there are several things you can do to enhance the power of your mojo bag:
a) if you are asking for Eleggua’s help, go to a crossroads and leave three pennies, three candies and a small bottle of rum for him;
b) if you are asking for Ochum’s help, take three peaches and a jar of honey to a water stream and leave them at the shore for her;
c) for any other Orisha/deity you want to work with, a special offering of his/her favourite food and/or drink will definitely ease the way.
Keeping And Feeding Your Mojo Bag
if you have already made the bag, you have only started the life of your money mojo; a common mistake of beginner practitioners is to make an amulet bag, place it somewhere and just forget it – its energy vanishes and dies, and then comes disappointment and failed expectations, along with the feeling of not being helped.
First of all, you must take the mojo bag with you for at least seven days. You can either pin it with a safety pin to your clothes, or add a long string and wear it as a long necklace or around your waist.
It is very important that nobody knows that you have made it, or that you are wearing it.
Do not sleep, bath or have sex while wearing it. When not in use, keep it in a box in your altar.
Whenever you go to a job interview, or to ask for a raise or promotion, wear it. Wear it while you work or on any social occasion where you may meet people in work positions that interest you. The job you dream of can come from the most unexpected meetings.
Clean it of all residual energy once a month on the full moon by placing it on a plate filled with regular salt and letting it receive the light of the moon for one night.
Feeding the mojo bag is dropping a few drops of magickal oil, rum, whiskey, honey or santería waters on the “mouth” of the bag. You do this to keep its energy alive and flowing, so it must be done regularly; once every week, every two weeks, each month, just as you see fit.
Yes, it’s going to get ugly, grubby, smelly and dirty – “pretty” magick is just an illusion. The best mojo bags are the oldest, ugliest ones. It’s not a decor item, so don’t worry about the feeding spoiling the bag. If you want a beautiful bag, make a wanga packet for your altar (we will talk about them soon).
Items You Can Add To Your Mojo Bag
These are not mandatory – but they can help a lot, as they have been made specifically for this purpose.
To be added into the bag:
Money Wax Ball