30% Off on leather items, corn husk dolls and a gorgeous crochet cauldron trivet, only this week!
Find them on the On Sale This Week Section of The Hoodoo Shop.
Archive for the ‘On Sale Today’ Category
10 cm/4 inches altar dolls, dressed in the traditional costume that Priestess of all Orishas wear during rituals and festivities. Poseable arms, legs and head. All the clothes and turban are 100% handsewn – no glueing on these dolls to assure durability. Dolls in Santeria are an institution, specially in Cuba, where the tradition dresses them in white silk and gorgeous handmade laces, often with dresses over a yard long for a doll that’s only a few inches tall. They are traditionally placed on a small chair, usually made by the devotee or bought to an artisan, and the chosen spirit is called with offerings to inhabit the doll. On special occasions, or in return for favours, the spirit doll receives a new dress, a new chair, an embroidered cushion or cape, jewelry… until a spirit doll with several years of work in the house of a Santero is like a living jewel, covered in riches and offerings. The spirit that inhabits her (or him) can be a local priestess, an ancestor or a famous deceased figure of the religion. Of course, they can also represent a deity, but they are not used as the Orisha’s vessel, as the Orisha vessel must be something of a purer essence, like a stone, and not a plastic figurine. On the other hand, they are widely used a gifts for the Orishas, specially when asking for a difficult spellwork. As usual, I am open to custom work, on this kind of doll or others. Please contact me with your idea – prices may vary depending on materials and size of doll.
This weekend, the On Sale Today section is filled with the magic of pendulums! We have applied a 50% discount to all our pendulums, so all of you who want to try this form of divination can have a unique, handmade piece for next to nothing :).
I have a good collection of pendulums myself and I have to say I really give them good use! Besides being probably the easiest form of divination, once you have practised for a while it becomes more and more accurate each time – and, if you believe me, spirits LOVE using pendulums to work with. Here are some tips on using pendulums:
- Of course, it is necessary to be consistent with your practise and to “bond” with each pendulum, either by keeping it with you for a few days constantly – pinned to your clothes on a mojo bag, for example – or by consecrating it to a specific spirit if you are a more experienced Witch.
- Some practise in meditation is also a great aid, mainly because not interfering with your own thoughts and desires is important to let the spirits speak through you and the pendulum; being able to leave you mind completely blank takes a little time!
- Each pendulum uses a different “sign language” – to properly understand it, always start your séance with questions that you know the answer of; for example, “Is my name xxxx?” so you can identify the movements that means “yes”, “no”, ” I don’t know”, etc., for each piece.
- If you have several pendulums, don’t keep them all together; they may serve to very different energies and create an energy disorder. It is better to keep them on separate bags or boxes, and it is always a good idea to add any roots, stones or other curios that you feel that may improve the energy of the piece. For example, a pendulum consecrated to Eleggua could be enhanced by adding a key, three buzios and three copper coins.
- If you feel your pendulum too heavy or slow when using it, specially if you make consultations for others, it may be time to give it a good cleansing. Keep it a few minutes under running water (tap is fine, stream/river is optimum), and then leave it on a plate filled with salt during the night of the Full Moon, where it will receive the moon beams. It will feel like new!
- If you feel physically ill or severely anxious while using the pendulum, it may not be the piece for you – don’t keep it hidden, give it away! If you can’t find a person that feels fine using it, bury it away from your home or throw it to running waters. I once received a amethyst pendulum from a friend because it was “giving him the creeps”, but it worked wonderfully for me for many years and never felt any negativity coming from it.
- Liminal hours of the day, like sunrise and dusk, are the best times to connect with spirits of the dead with a pendulum.
The Hoodoo Shop will have a new section, starting today, called On Sale Today. For 24 hours, one (or more) of our OOAK handmade items will get a significant discount. To avoid giving advantage to our European customers, the Section will be updated on a different hour and week day every time. We are both real bargain hunters and we would love that all our readers could afford a piece of our shop that they’ve fallen in love with – and we know very well that even a little purchase can be a big sacrifice sometimes. We will announce each On Sale Today item both here and on The Hoodoo Shop’s Facebook Fan Page. Also, the chosen item will be on our Featured shop items, making it super easy to find :).
So, to begin this new tradition, we have chosen:
- Our handpainted, one of a kind, set of Moon And Sun Goddess Talismans – 50% Off!: